- Be part of an organisation that helps to shape our communities
- Structured career progression within our business
- Environment where collaboration and innovation are encouraged
SMEC provides unique opportunities to work on iconic industry projects with experienced colleagues and leadership teams. We support and empower employees to drive innovation initiatives within a well-established and growing organisation.
Every employee plays a key role in shaping our business and is driven by teamwork, progressive thinking and creative ideas. We are committed to providing platforms to enable our people to engage in the business, deliver value to clients and develop their careers.
When you join SMEC, you join a flexible growing organisation that has a genuine commitment to CSR, diversity and improving the world we live in.
SMEC delivers smart solutions for clients and communities in Infrastructure, Urban Development and Energy & Resources driven by a desire to improve the world in which we live. Our diverse and skilled teams are engaged in major projects across Transport, Water, Energy and renewables sectors.
We are seeking to engage a forward-thinking and innovative ANZ Manager - Health, Safety, Environment & Quality (HSEQ) to join our team on a permanent basis. In this role, you’ll be responsible for managing and developing the HSEQ team within the ANZ Division to apply subject matter expertise and provide leadership to achieve HSEQ outcomes that meet the needs of projects and operations in line with SMEC’s requirements, including WHS regulations.
An essential part of this role is management of the Quality function, and you’ll be responsible for coordination, implementation and assurance activities across the business to deliver successful quality management and compliance outcomes on opportunities and projects in line with the Business Management System (BMS).
Note: The location of this role is flexible and can be based in Sydney / Melbourne / Brisbane
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead the development of the HSE and Quality strategies that are practical and link to the strategic direction of SMEC
- Oversee and influence the implementation of the HSE and Quality strategies, utilizing internal resources, or as necessary developing business cases to support the use of additional resources
- Regularly evaluate SMEC’s HSE and Quality management systems and related programs to ensure they are integrated effectively into operations and meet external certification requirements
- Provide high level advice to the Executive and senior managers on a broad range of HSEQ and associated risk management matters related to SMEC’s business
- Lead the HSEQ team to ensure high quality and flexible delivery of HSEQ services and support to managers, staff, projects, operations and relevant stakeholders
- Prepare briefing material and reports on the impact of new or amended legislation, regulations and emerging issues along with recommended action to manage emerging risks
- Maintain up to date knowledge of current legislation, industry practices, standards requirements etc to be in a position to provide relevant advice
- Monitor HSEQ performance and facilitate the flow of HSEQ information across organisational boundaries to generate action to reduce operational HSEQ risk
- Develop or promote learning and development activities to develop a high level of transfer of awareness and knowledge about proactive HSEQ risk management to practical application within operations.
- Engage with all stakeholders supportively and collaboratively to achieve the position objectives, in particular the Executive Committee, SMEC Australia Board, Risk Management Committee, Project Management Committee and the Group Business Management System Team.
- Undertake regular discussions, presentations and site visits, as appropriate, to support the implementation of the HSE and Quality strategies.
- Ensure SMEC’s workers compensation program complies with state/territory regulatory requirements, and injury management practices maximise stay at work/return to work outcomes for employees.
- Maintain positive and professional relationships with relevant external bodies, clients and associations and represent SMEC appropriately.
Suitable applicants will be/have:
- Tertiary qualifications in work health and safety, or relevant science or business discipline
- Provisional Auditor Training in Quality, Safety and Environment Systems
- Certificate IV in Workplace training desirable
- Sound knowledge of management systems (Quality, Safety, Environment and Risk)
- Minimum 10 years’ experience, ideally in a HSEQ management or team supervision role within the professional services industry
- Excellent communication skills and highly partnership orientated
- Demonstrated experience in successful business partnering and stakeholder management
- Numeracy skills to prepare or interpret charts, graphs or tables
- Ability to work autonomously and to exercise initiative and discretion
- Co-operative and flexible work style to work in a team environment
In return, SMEC offers you the benefits that come from working in a global multidisciplinary consultancy in an environment where your fresh ideas and enthusiasm will be welcomed and rewarded.
Link to benefits: http://www.smec.com/en_au/careers/your-career-with-SMEC
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted online. To apply, click on the "Apply Now" link below and follow the prompts.
For a confidential discussion regarding this opportunity, please contact Ami Jordan: Ami.email@example.com
To find out more about SMEC, please visit our careers page at www.smec.com/careers
All recruitment activities go through our Recruitment & Talent function and currently, this role doesn’t require agency input. Please do not forward resume directly to SMEC employees/managers; we do not accept unsolicited resumes and are not responsible for any associated fees.