SPECIALIST disability staff from the Stockton Centre and Morisset's Kanangra unit flew on an urgent mission to Albury this week after a charity there was unable to cope with an "uncontrollable" young man in its care.
Sources told the Newcastle Herald that the young man with "challenging behaviour" had "destroyed" up to three group homes.
They said three staff from Kanangra and two from Morisset had flown to Albury to deal with the situation.
A spokesman for the Albury organisation involved, Aspire Support Services, confirmed there had been a problem but said the man was no longer in its care.
The Herald was alerted to the situation by disability workers who said the young man and others like him should never have been put into privately run group homes in the first place.
They say things will get progressively worse if the state government proceeds with its plan to privatise its disability services as part of the National Disability Insurance Scheme.
They say the privatisation, combined with the government's plan to shut Stockton and Kanangra by 2018, means there will be no carer of last resort for anyone that the private sector is unable or unwilling to care for.
Public Service Association organiser Paul James said staff were concerned about the way these sorts of situations were playing out, believing the clients were being "let down".
The Herald reported in January that a person with "behavioural" issues had been moved from Albury to Stockton, but sources say this latest situation involves someone else.
That person had been brought to Stockton despite a long-standing government policy of no new admissions, but the government said at the time that it was a "time-limited ... therapeutical placement".
A state government spokesperson said a young man was being cared for in Albury "in collaboration with" non-government agencies. He said the non-government sector had a proven ability to support people with complex needs.
Once the NDIS was in full swing, the federal National Disability Insurance Agency would be responsible for "finding alternative solutions for people".
THE Stockton Centre is open to the all on Saturday for the 57th annual Stockton Fete.
Stockton Welfare Association spokesperson Wendy Cuneo said the fete will start at 9.30am finish about 2.30pm. It will have raffles – one with a $1000 first prize – cake displays, a chocolate wheel, motorbikes, vintage cars, a martial arts display, banjo players and an outdoor market.
‘‘Traditionally the fete stalls have been run by volunteers selling donated goods but for the first time in 57years, outside traders are invited to attend,’’ Mrs Cuneo said.
‘‘We raised $25,000 last year and the money is spent on various things for the residents of Stockton, Tomaree and Kanangra centres.
‘‘They are people with severe intellectual and physical disabilities who require 24-hour nursing care and the money we raise helps lift their quality of life.’’