LIBERAL LEADER STEVEN MARSHALL:
* Steven Marshall grew up in Adelaide's eastern suburbs, studying business at university before completing an MBA at Durham University in the UK.
* After graduation he entered his family's furniture manufacturing business, becoming managing director after his father retired in 1997.
* The company was sold in 2001 to an international firm with Mr Marshall joining the board.
* He entered politics at the 2010 election winning the seat of Norwood (now Dunstan) which covers the inner-eastern suburbs of Norwood, Payneham South, St Peters and Trinity Garden.
* In 2011 he was promoted to the opposition front bench and, in 2012, became deputy leader.
* When Isobel Redmond resigned as leader in 2013, Mr Marshall replaced her, unopposed.
* Despite winning the two-party vote, he couldn't secure victory for the Liberals in 2014 but had impressed enough to stay on as leader.
Australian Associated Press