Hamilton-Wickham captain Josh Trappel will miss his team’s first grade title defence after opting not to appeal a five-match suspension handed down by the Newcastle and District Cricket Association judiciary.
Club president Scott McInnes said the Pumas won’t lodge the necessary paperwork, due on Thursday, and now need to “move on” for the rest of 2017-2018 despite last week’s setback.
“We won’t be appealing,” McInnes said.
“We’ll just wear it and accept the umpire’s decision whether we like it or not.
“It’s a big loss … but like we always do at Hamwicks, we move on.”
Fourth-placed Hamwicks, locked in a crucial last-round clash to qualify for semis, were considering an appeal to lessen the severity of the punishment and make Trappel available for the finals.
He was cited for “bringing the game into disrepute” after a verbal exchange with umpires midway through last month’s T20 final. He was suspended for three games, but also had carry-over points from 2015-2016.
Trappel was suspended for two matches last summer.
PREVIOUS: Hamwicks skipper set to appeal ban
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.