ADELAIDE Archbishop Philip Wilson – who is defending allegations he failed to report child sexual abuse to authorities – will learn his fate next month.
It comes after the landmark hearing into whether Archbishop Wilson concealed child sexual abuse allegations against Hunter priest Jim Fletcher resumed in Newcastle Local Court last week after a four-month break.
The defence argues Archbishop Wilson is not guilty because the case is circumstantial and there is no evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt the archbishop was told about the abuse, believed it was true or remembered being told about it.
Wilson is the most senior Catholic official in the world to be charged with concealing child sexual assault.
Magistrate Robert Stone this week adjourned the matter to May 22 for a decision.