BENGALLA’s first shift was expected to return to the mine today after the death of contractor Quinton Moore.
Mr Moore, 37, suffered fatal injuries just before 8pm on Saturday while he performed tyre maintenance.
Chief executive Cam Halfpenny said in a statement that all staff had been “responding with heavy hearts to the tragic event on Saturday night at the mine”.
“First and foremost Bengalla will continue to support Quinton’s family, our staff and suppliers as we come together at this difficult time,” Mr Halfpenny said.
“We plan to begin loading trains later today and have staff on site from this evening assessing operations. The first shift back on-site will be Wednesday.”
Mr Halfpenny said the company’s priorities were staff wellbeing, co-operation with ongoing investigations and resuming operations “safely and slowly” in that order.
The NSW Department of Planning’s Resources Regulator is investigating the incident, which Hunter Valley duty officer Acting Inspector Ryan Froml described as “a very sad industrial accident”.
Mr Moore was remembered on social media as a popular and respected member of the local community.