A MAN accused of attempted murder over a home invasion shooting at Hamilton that “blew a large hole” in the alleged victim’s face has pleaded not guilty and will face a trial in Newcastle District Court next year.
Dion Welsh, 37, of Woodberry, was represented by solicitor Ana Qvist when he appeared in Newcastle Local Court on Wednesday via audio visual link from Parklea Correctional Centre.
The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) withdrew charges of causing grievous bodily harm with intent to murder and attempt to discharge a loaded firearm at a person with intent to murder and, in their place, Mr Welsh pleaded not guilty to four fresh charges of shoot at with intent to murder, discharging a firearm with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, reckless grievous bodily harm in company and specially aggravated enter dwelling with intent.
“I can confirm, Your Honour, it is pleas of not guilty to all charges,” Ms Qvist told magistrate David Price.
Mr Welsh will appear in Newcastle District Court next week to get a trial date in 2019. Prosecutors allege Mr Welsh was one of three men who stormed into a unit in Gordon Avenue at Hamilton about 10.30pm on December 18 last year.
Then he fired, “blowing a large hole” in the homeowners face. However, in that initial moment, with the adrenaline pumping, the alleged victim seemed to have no idea he’d been shot.
He reached for an ornamental samurai sword and swung it at the second intruder, cutting his arm which bled profusely.
Detectives say this man was Dion Welsh and claim that blood stains, later forensically examined, confirmed his DNA was found at the scene. Witnesses had said Mr Welsh was carrying something in his hand. The nozzle looked like it was the end of a black pen. The police allege it was a firearm.
The third man involved in the home invasion shooting remains unidentified.
Mr Rae also appeared in Newcastle Local Court via audio visual link from Parklea Correctional Centre on Wednesday. He did not enter any pleas and the matter was adjourned to December 12.
I can confirm, Your Honour, it is pleas of not guilty to all charges.- Solicitor Ana Qvist to magistrate David Price
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.