Andrew Constance was not looking any further ahead than the 2.7 kilometres of light rail already laid in Newcastle when quizzed about an extension on Friday.
The transport minster reiterated previous remarks about an extension study being in its "final stages" and was resolute in keeping the focus on what had been achieved in the city so far.
"Let's just celebrate today's historic opening," he said.
"In terms of any future [extension], we've done the work in terms of the strategic business case.
"That's just being polished off at the moment and away we go from there."
Premier Gladys Berejiklian stepped in upon further questions regarding a release date of the business case Transport for NSW has been working on and said an extension "will happen".
"We said we'd build this light rail, we've delivered it," she said.
"We've said we'll do an extension - it'll happen.
"Just look at our record; actions speak louder than words."
The government made a commitment in 2015 to complete an extension study as part of a deal to have legislation passed to remove the city's heavy rail line.
It released a document in 2016 listing four possible extension options into Newcastle’s suburbs, including Broadmeadow, Mayfield or Adamstown.
Shooters, Fishers and Farmers MP Robert Brown, who was integral in securing the commitment to the study, said earlier this month the government was "dragging the chain" and should inform the Hunter community of its intentions to extend the line.
Hunter Business Chamber CEO Bob Hawes said recently the extension study was “certainly overdue”.
"I think most of the community, have always viewed the current light rail project as a first stage – the service will have to be extended to fulfil its potential," he said.