A forum to discuss racism in Newcastle has been cancelled due to fears of a counter rally at the event from extreme right-wing groups.
The Greens, who organised the forum to be held at the Hamilton Gallipoli Legion Club on Thursday night, say the event was cancelled on Tuesday after it attracted responses from groups including True Blue Crew and the Lads Society.
One of the messages posted on a public Facebook page last Saturday from a man who appeared to be associated with the True Blue Crew-NSW read: "A call out to all NSW Patriots to counter protest this disgraceful event. How dare the Greens insist on holding this at the Gallipoli legions [sic] club. The True blue crew NSW will be there."
The Greens, who had booked the venue, said they cancelled the event after the club advised of other messages and urged the group to call off the forum, billed as Rise Against Racism - Resisting the Far Right.
But the Gallipoli Legion Club denied it had received any threats and said it did not know why the Greens had cancelled the forum.
Former executive member of the Newcastle Muslim Association Diana Rah, who was planning to attend the event, said she understood it had been cancelled because of a possible right-wing protest.
"I wasn't involved in organising the forum, but that's what I heard," she said.
Greens Senator Mehreen Faruqi, who was due to speak at the event, said it would be held at an alternative venue in the near future.
"We organised this event in the aftermath of the Christchurch massacre to have a community conversation about the rise of the far-right and how to tackle racism, fear and division in our multicultural society," she said. "We made the difficult decision to cancel the event after receiving information from the venue about multiple far-right extremist and white supremacist groups intending to crash the event.
"We organised this event in the aftermath of the Christchurch massacre to have a community conversation about the rise of the far-right and how to tackle racism, fear and division in our multicultural society," she said.
"We made the difficult decision to cancel the event after receiving information from the venue about multiple far-right extremist and white supremacist groups intending to crash the event.
"Our concern was for the safety of the community and the attendees.
"Newcastle is a progressive and inclusive city and we won't be silenced. We will be announcing details of a new event shortly at a different venue."
The cancellation follows several clashes in recent times between those concerned about racism in the community and members of right-wing groups.
Reclaim Australia denied it had made any threats regarding the scheduled forum at the Gallipoli Legion Club.
The group was responsible for organising a rally at Cessnock in October 2015 where about 700 supporters - many who had travelled from outside of the Hunter - protested against a proposed mosque development at Buchanan.
About 150 Rally Against Racism supporters also rallied at Cessnock on the same day.
Once considered Australia's most prominent right-wing protest group, Reclaim Australia's membership has fragmented significantly in recent years.
True Blue Crew-NSW and Lads society did not respond to questions from the Newcastle Herald.
The far-right True Blue Crew is an anti-Islam outfit that has organised street rallies since 2016.
Its members have protested mosque developments and so-called African gangs.
One Nation has forbidden candidates from associating with the group, which was banned from Facebook after posting Islamophobic messages in the wake of the Christchurch massacre.
The Lads Society has been linked to underground fight clubs in Melbourne and Sydney.
It has offered bodyguard services to visiting far-right celebrities, including Canadian Lauren Southern.