City of Newcastle has approved Queens Wharf Hotel's application to extend its outdoor music and dining hours.
The popular harbourside hotel was forced to wind back its music offerings in early 2018 after nearby residents complained to the Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority and Newcastle council about noise and operating hours on the wharf.
The hotel's owners applied to the council for extended hours last June, and were this week granted approval subject to range of conditions - including noise monitoring.
Live or musical entertainment can now be held on the wharf between noon and 11pm Monday to Saturday, and noon to 10pm on Sunday and public holidays.
Previous operating hours were between 6pm to 11pm on Friday and Saturday and noon to 9pm on Sunday.
The venue has also been approved to keep its outdoor dining and entertainment area open until midnight every day, two hours later than was previously allowed from Sunday to Wednesday.
Licensee Steve Smyth said the hotel was not planning on hosting vast amounts of entertainment, but the changes would now allow some flexibility.
"We're very happy we've got it. It's been a long process," he said.
"It's a progressive place in here now, it's really going ahead [Newcastle].
"If you go to Darling Harbour and Circular Quay and places like that, they're vibrant areas; of course there's going to be some noise.
"But we want to keep with the boundaries, we don't want to have any complaints."
Mr Smyth said previously the venue could not even host a solo artist on a Saturday afternoon.
"It just didn't make sense," he said.
The publican mooted a likely return of the hotel's former weekly event Harbour Lounge, which was held on Thursday nights.