LAKES are set to announce next season's coach before the Newcastle Rugby League regular rounds wrap up later this month.
Seagulls president Paul Jeffries said the club's panel were now assessing the merits of recent interviewees.
"Interviews have been held and we are in the process of debriefing those interviews amongst the panel," Jeffries said.
"We should have an announcement to make after 'old boys' day this weekend."
Todd Edwards (2018), Dean Noonan (2014-17) and Rip Taylor (2013) have previously held the top job.
* STILL on the coaching front and Kurri Kurri have received up to 10 applications, including current mentor Ron Griffiths, to look after the Bulldogs in 2020.
An announcement is expected in the "next couple of weeks" according to club veteran and assistant secretary Mick Campton.
* ANDREW "Bobcat" Ryan will continue to coach at South Newcastle in 2020 while Todd Edwards has confirmed he will go again at Cessnock despite recent dramas with the club's administration, which saw both the president and secretary quit.
* ELSEWHERE in terms of coaching next year and Matt Lantry is expected to stay on at Wests for a fourth term while Luke Dorn remains in talks with Maitland.
Macquarie and Central have already locked in Steve Kidd and Phil Williams respectively.
* CRL NEWCASTLE pair Holli Wheeler and Kylie Hilder picked up individual gongs out of their NSW Women's Premiership grand final success on the weekend.
Wheeler was named the official player of the match while Hilder was voted players' player by her own teammates.
* MACQUARIE will auction specially-made jerseys (above) at Toronto Workers Club after hosting Maitland at Lyall Peacock Field on Saturday.
* OLD BOYS DAY will be marked by clubs across all four Newcastle RL venues on Saturday - Cahill Oval (Lakes), Lyall Peacock Field (Macquarie), Kurri Sportsground (Kurri) and Cessnock Sportsground (Cessnock).
* MEN OF LEAGUE'S Newcastle committee will hold a sportsman's lunch at Wallsend's Colliery Inn on Friday with Kurt Gidley and Daniel Abraham among the guest speakers.