A MOTORCYCLIST is dead and five people, including a three-year-old child, have been taken to hospital after a crash at Castle Rock, north-west of Muswellbrook, on Saturday.
Police said emergency services were called to Wybong Road about 2.30pm after reports of a crash between a Harley Davidson motorcycle and a silver Holden Commodore.
The motorcyclist, a 47-year-old man, died at the scene.
The five people in the Commodore, including a three-year-old child, were treated by NSW paramedics before being taken to hospital for treatment to non-life-threatening injuries.
Wybong Road - an often windy stretch of country road that links Muswellbrook with the Golden Highway - was closed in both directions for a number of hours while specialist forensic officers examined the scene.
Officers from Hunter Valley Police District are investigating the circumstances surrounding the crash and are asking anyone who may have information to come forward or call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
While you're with us, did you know Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here.
IN NEWS TODAY:
- Autism seminar features clinical psychologist and specialist Dr Lee Sturgeon
- Newcastle drug syndicate smashed: police seize two kilograms of ice
- Rough seas hamper operation to retrieve sunken helicopter from Port Stephens coast
- Mark Isaacs spent time in Afghanistan to produce a book with an unlikely underlying belief: hope
- Hunter Water customer Walter Koch says he ended up paying $14,000 to disconnect service
- Newcastle Knights fall apart under pressure again as Panthers deliver a final round humiliation