A MAN has been arrested and charged over three incidents, including the theft of a charity donation box from a Hunter Street business.
About 8pm Thursday a male was witnessed stealing products at a retail store located at Croudace Road, Elermore Vale. The man was seen to be placing items down the front of his pants. He was challenged by staff at the store and again challenged by a cleaner as he attempted to leave. It is alleged the man lifted his clothing to expose a knife and threatened to use it.
In a separate incident, about 9.12pm Friday a male entered a fast food store located on Hunter Street Newcastle. After ordering food, the male is alleged to have removed a charity donation box containing money from the counter, placing it under his jumper.
Then on Saturday a credit card was stolen from a room within shared accommodation on Dennison Street, Hamilton East. The credit card was fraudulently used on eight occasions in the Newcastle West area.
Police commenced investigations into each of the matters and a 29-year-old man was identified.
On Wednesday police located and arrested the male on Hunter Street, Newcastle West. He was taken to Newcastle police station where he was charged with the two warrants, two counts of stealing and three fraud offences (further offences remain under investigation).
The man, who was currently on parole until June 2020, was refused bail to appear at Newcastle Local Court on Monday.
While you're with us, did you know Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here.
IN NEWS TODAY:
- MITCHELL PEARCE | No fun on the outside looking in as finals kick-off
- Victim's dying declaration helped catch his killer
- Anna Bay helicopter crash: Police divers survey scene, prepare to search
- Hexham dairy company goes into administration
- David McCauley guilty of murder for burning Wade Still to death
- Judge says James McManus's proposed amended statement of claim in landmark concussion case a 'curious document'