A man aged in his 20s has been taken into custody by Newcastle Police after a siege in Mayfield West, which began just after midnight on Friday.
Negotiators were called in the early hours of Friday morning after a man climbed into the roof of a single-storey unit on Maitland Road just after 12.30am.
Officers with the Newcastle City Police District coordinated attempts to negotiate the man down from the roof, with assistance from NSW Police Rescue, the police dog unit, paramedics and police negotiators.
The man was taken to Newcastle City Police station where inquiries are continuing, a spokesperson for NSW Police said around 10.20am.
There are a number of police and emergency services on the scene, including paramedics, and a BearCat tactical police vehicle.
While you're with us, did you know Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here.
IN NEWS TODAY:
- Man accused of causing crash that killed girl, 9, at New Lambton Heights in court
- Devora Howard: Autopsy finds drowning as cause of death
- Former Hightrade boss extradited to face tax charges linked to a Hunter resort development
- Upper Hunter air quality monitoring network issues unprecedented alerts for poor air quality
- Aged care a sentence for 21-year-old Hunter man James Nutt
- Taco Bell lodges development application for an outlet in the Hunter, one of two in NSW