Newcastle council says its engineers are "comfortable" with the performance of emergency sandbagging along Stockton's eroding waterfront.
Council workers have been installing about 150 one-tonne sandbags in front of the suburb's only child care centre, which closed permanently two weeks ago after engineers deemed it unsafe.
The sandbagging, which has cost about $100,000, is due to be finished early this week.
"Coastal engineers inspected the emergency sandbagging works and ongoing erosion on Wednesday and are comfortable with their performance," a council spokesperson said.
The sandbags have been installed at the beachfront near Stone Street and at the end of Griffiths Avenue.
The council is also sourcing quotes for demolishing the Mission Australia Early Learning Centre and hopes to bring down the building by Christmas.
Storm swells have stripped more than 9000 cubic metres, or 1300 truckloads, of sand in recent months from in front of the former North Stockton Life Saving Club building.
This week's remediation works are the latest in a long series of attempts to study and limit the effects of coastal erosion at Stockton.
University of Newcastle professor Ron Boyd wrote in the Newcastle Herald last year that the erosion issue stretched back 60 years.
The council and residents have been calling on the NSW government to fund a long-term fix, which has been costed at more than $30 million.
"While sandbagging may be enough to protect the coastline from these immediate swell impacts, it is not a long-term solution to protecting Stockton's coastline," City of Newcastle chief executive officer Jeremy Bath said.
"We are requesting the state government consider the serious nature of Stockton's erosion issues, and we'll continue to progress those conversations as long as necessary until a solution or intervention is enacted."
An erosion exclusion zone is now metres from several roads and beachfront properties being protected by the temporary sandbag wall.
Meanwhile, council staff have recommended a proposed 16-room boarding house next to the WEA Creative Arts Space in Beaumont Street, Hamilton, be approved, despite 33 objections from nearby residents.
The council's development applications committee will vote on the development on Tuesday night.
The committee will also assess GWH's plans for an eight-storey, $18 million office building on the Darby Plaza site in Hunter Street.
Council staff have recommended councillors approve the redevelopment, which spans part of the former rail corridor.
- Community meeting told Stockton beach losing a metre a year
- Mission Australia's storm damaged Stockton early learning centre
- Childcare centre's future under cloud in erosion saga
- Childcare centre forced to close temporarily due to beach erosion threat
- Council back to drawing board over long-term solution for Stockton erosion
- Playground of Stockton's Mission Australia early learning centre set to be relocated as a result of erosion threat
- Fears childcare centre could crumble into the sea
- Stockton solution moves forward with meeting
- Garbage tip washing into the sea at Stockton
- State government handballs responsibility for Stockton beach
- 2017: Exposed mine shaft shows Stockton beach's erosion problem needs 'urgent' solution
While you're with us, did you know Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here.