The former Stockton childcare centre is due to be demolished on Friday as part of works to secure the suburb's severely eroded foreshore.
Local Government minister Shelley Hancock announced on Wednesday that $250,000 worth of funding had been approved to assist City of Newcastle with the management of erosion at Stockton.
"Following my visit to Stockton on Monday and the declaration of the beach as a Significant Open Coast Location, I requested council's grant applications be rapidly assessed and fast tracked," Mrs Hancock said.
Grants have been awarded for emergency sandbagging at the end of Griffth Avenue and Stone Street and to assist with the demolition of the former childcare centre (formerly the North Stockton Surf Club) - both actions listed in the Council's Coastal Zone Management Plan.
Newcastle Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes welcomed the funding announcement.
"We look forward to continuing to work with the NSW Government towards a long-term solution to address coastal erosion at Stockton Beach," she said.
Ms Hancock also committed to work with the council on a long-term solution to erosion problems at Stockton, including investigating the suitability of offshore dredging.
The government would need to create new legislation if the practice was to be used at Stockton.
Deputy Premier John Barilaro, who oversees legislation relating to offshore dredging, confirmed on Tuesday that the viability of the practice was under consideration.
"We are still considering all of our options in relation to long-term solutions for Stockton beach," a spokeswoman said.
Deeper reading: Save Stockton Beach
- Deputy Premier John Barilaro confirms all options are on the table for Stockton Beach
- Minister pledges to fast track City of Newcastle funding applications for Stockton
- Stockton residents unite in fight of their lives to revive the beach
- Shifting sands from offshore could save Stockton beach for as little as $5 million
- Our beach is broken and so are our hearts
- Watch the video: Relentless erosion closes Stockton beach
- Erosion wipes out Stockton's only childcare centre
- Community meeting told Stockton beach losing a metre a year
- Mission Australia's storm damaged Stockton early learning centre
- Childcare centre's future under cloud in erosion saga
- Childcare centre forced to close temporarily due to beach erosion threat
- Council back to drawing board over long-term solution for Stockton erosion
- Playground of Stockton's Mission Australia early learning centre set to be relocated as a result of erosion threat
- Fears childcare centre could crumble into the sea
- Stockton solution moves forward with meeting
- Garbage tip washing into the sea at Stockton
- State government handballs responsibility for Stockton beach
- 2017: Exposed mine shaft shows Stockton beach's erosion problem needs 'urgent' solution
- 2016: Newcastle lord mayor Nuatali Nelmes suggests 'underground breakwall'
- 2016: Worst erosion in memory leaves Stockton beach exposed to next storm
- 2014: Dangerous erosion on Stockton Beach
- 2013: Stockton beach erosion | photos, video
While you're with us, did you know Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here.