A man charged with allegedly stabbing two police officers in a daylight rampage at Toronto has been refused bail in Newcastle court.
Oliver Scales-Copeland was charged with two counts of wound with intent to resist arrest, destroy/damage property, common assault and breach of bail for drug-related offences after the confrontation on Sunday, which ended with bystanders detaining the 25-year-old and two police officers being taken to hospital with stab wounds.
Mr Scales-Copeland, who was sporting a black eye, represented himself when he applied for bail on Monday.
When asked by the registrar whether he knew why he was before the court, Mr Scales-Copeland replied: "not entirely, no".
It was explained to him that in order to be successful in his bail application, he would need to adequately explain why he should not be kept in custody while his matter was before the court.
"Basically, I feel like I can get my life back on track without damaging property or using violence," said Mr Scales-Copeland, who was appearing via audio-visual link.
Read more: Police and court news
"By no means do I have any intent to repeat what happened intentionally.
"I do apologise for what happened, I do regret that."
When the court heard Mr Scales-Copeland's bail application had been unsuccessful, the Sydney man said: "Oh god, please don't do that to me - I don't need that", before giving a thumbs-up signal when he was dismissed shortly after.
The incident unfolded at the intersection of The Boulevarde and Carey Street about 1pm on Sunday.
Police were called from nearby Toronto Police Station after reports that Mr Scales-Copeland was armed with two knives and had allegedly slashed the tyre of a vehicle.
Police allege the Bronte man attacked the two senior constables who arrived at the scene.
The officers used capsicum spray and a baton in an attempt to disarm the man, but both suffered stab wounds - one to the leg and the other to the hand.
Bystanders who were completing community service work nearby caught and subdued Mr Scales-Copeland, who was allegedly pursuing the officers.
One of the senior constables remains in John Hunter Hospital in a stable condition - the Newcastle Herald understands he was having surgery on his hand on Monday morning - and the other has been released.
Mr Scales-Copeland will face Toronto local court on Tuesday.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here.
IN THE NEWS: