HUNTER Workers will hold a rally for the region's working poor in Civic Park on Friday October 18.
Speakers including workers, apprentices and federal Newcastle MP Sharon Claydon are scheduled to address the crowd on issues including underemployment, wage theft, domestic violence and equal pay at the event, which falls within Poverty Week (October 13-19).
A barbecue will also be provided at the event, which will be emceed by Hunter Workers secretary Daniel Wallace.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here.
IN NEWS TODAY:
- Hunter mother who lost identical twin baby girls at 22 weeks shares painful story to raise awareness of Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Evening
- Klemmer picked for Kangaroos; Ponga in Nines and Junior Kangaroos
- Toronto police stabbing: union calls for 'maximum weight of the law' as man charged with attack on cops
- Pair extradited from Queensland to Raymond Terrace over Hunter sexual abuse allegations
- In just a few weeks four Hunter artificial stone workers were diagnosed with the deadly silicosis
- David Lowe: Who's the best bet in the A-League this season?