NEWCASTLE Herald photographer Max Mason-Hubers has claimed a prestigious Walkley prize for regional photography.
Mason-Hubers was named winner of the Nikon-Walkley Community/Regional Prize on Thursday night in a ceremony held simultaneously in both Melbourne and Sydney.
Photographers can enter up to five images in the category to represent work done outside Australia's capital cities.
The judges praised Mason-Hubers' skill, storytelling and consistency of editing.
"Demonstrating the intimacy and trust a regional photographer can build with his community, Max Mason-Hubers' body of work shows a range of subjects portrayed in different ways," they said.
"From a news action shot to a stunning portrait, these five images represent highlights from Mason-Hubers' past twelve months in Newcastle."
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here.
IN THE NEWS
- We intend to release Milton Orkopolous, authority confirms
- Hunter speed cameras: Rankin Park escapes review despite spike
- City of Newcastle fined $55,000 in water pollution prosecution
- Bryce Gaudry remembered as a man of the people
- Open goal: Newcastle Jets seek home-kit sponsor
- Stockton erosion: BHP waste poses new threat