NOBBYS headland's owners have put out the call for ideas on the best uses for the iconic bluff but warn its challenges will remain.
Port Authority of NSW has announced it will seek ideas for how the site and its unspoiled views of the harbour, city and coast can best be used.
Chief operating officer Emma Fensom said the consultation had begun with a range of stakeholders.
"Our aim is to encourage activities that maintain community access while making sure that the operations of the lighthouse and signal station aren't impacted," she said.
"Nobbys is one of Newcastle's most recognisable landmarks, but its ongoing use is not without challenges - the site has steep and restricted access, services are limited and the planning and heritage requirements are comprehensive.
"I'm confident the community will come up with some great ideas that meet the unique site constraints."
Consultation will run throughout the rest of the month, with input gleaned during that period used to develop a later expression of interest process.
That formal process is expected to be held later this year.
The Newcastle Herald reported in February that a funding row between City of Newcastle and Newcastle Now had claimed the supervisor role, which allowed the headland to open to the public on Sundays for six years, as a casualty.
The headland was initially reopened to the public in 2011 after a lengthy period off limits.
Newcastle Now leased buildings at the site since 2012 and managed the site since 2013.
During that time it had organised hundreds of thousands in restoration for the peak's buildings.
It was previously at the centre of a lengthy bid by restaurateur Neil Slater to create an eatery, accommodation and a viewing platform at the iconic site before then federal environment minister Peter Garrett finally blocked the plan in 2008.
That decision opposed conditional support from departmental staff and the full public backing of Labor politicians including Joel Fitzgibbon, Greg Combet and former Newcastle MP Sharon Grierson.
While a smaller version of the plan would have been permitted without federal approval, Mr Slater said the plan would no longer have been viable.
Submissions can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 4965 4317.
Suggestions can also be made in person at the headland on Saturday from 9am-10.30am, October 23 from 7am to 8.30am and October 26 from 2.30pm to 4pm.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here.