INTERNATIONAL Happy Hour Day is celebrated on November 21.
The tradition of happy hour stems back to the early 1900s when the term was coined to describe the weekly entertainment programs organised for Navy sailors serving at sea during World War I.
Surprisingly, it supposedly had very little to do with the consumption of alcohol.
It wasn't until the Prohibition era of the 1920s that the phrase was tied to the act of a sneaky drink at a speakeasy before heading home for the day.
These days, happy hour means having a drink at a discounted price - and often it lasts longer than an hour - and it's held every day of the week (depending where you go).
From restaurants and pubs to bars and resorts, here's our list of 100 happy hours around the region:
1. 5 Sawyers, 115 Darby Street, Cooks Hill: Friday 4-7pm $5 tap beer, bubbly and wine by the glass.
2. The Anchorage, 26 Corlette Point Road, Corlette: Daily 5-6pm in Hemingway's Bar.
3. The Argenton Hotel, 515 Lake Road, Argenton: Monday to Friday 3.30-5.30pm $5.20 domestic beer, house wine and house spirits.
4. Babylon, 145 King Street, Newcastle: Monday to Friday 4-6pm $2 off premium beer, house wine and spirits; all bar snacks $10.
5. Bannisters, 147 Soldiers Point Road, Soldiers Point: Daily 4-6pm in The Terrace Bar.
6. Beach Hotel, Corner of Frederick and Ridge streets, Merewether: Members happy hour weekdays 4-6pm with $4.50 standard schooners.
7. Bar Petite, 5 King Street, Newcastle East: Every Friday 12noon-7pm $5 tap beer, sparkling wine and cider.
8. Basement On Market Street: 2 Market Place, Newcastle: Daily drink specials 4-6pm, including $5 tap beers and $12 cocktails.
9. Battlesticks, 200 Wharf Road, Newcastle: Daily until 6pm $6 tap beer and $4 house sparkling.
10. The Bavarian at Charlestown Square: Daily 4-7pm, $5 beers, wine and basic spirits.
11. Beach Burrito Co, 135 Darby Street, Cooks Hill: Monday to Friday 4-6.30pm $8 frozen margaritas and $5 beer or sangria.
12. The Beaumont, 70 Beaumont Street, Hamilton: Sunday & Monday noon-1pm $6 tap beers and house wine; Thursday to Sunday 3-6pm $6 tap beers and all wines; Thursday to Saturday 5-7pm two cocktails for $20; Sunday noon until closing all cocktails $15.
13. Beerhaus at Westfield Kotara: Daily 4-6pm $5 selected beer, wine and spirits, complimentary food from the Royal Snack Bar.
14. Bellbird Hotel, 388 Wollombi Road, Bellbird: Daily 3-6pm $4 schooners, house spirits and wine.
15. Belmore Hotel, 476 High Street, Maitland: Members happy hour daily 3-5.30pm $4 schooners.
16. Bennett Hotel, 146 Denison Street, Hamilton: Monday to Friday 4-6pm $5 local beers, house wine and sparkling, $6 premium beers; Friday-Saturday 8pm to 12am $6 house spirits.
17. The Blind Monk, 76 Beaumont Street, Hamilton: Monday to Friday4-6pm $2 off tap beers and house wine.
18. Blue Kahunas, 3/146 Hunter Street, Newcastle: Apertiki Hour Tuesday to Saturday 5-7pm $10 cocktails.
19. Burwood Inn, 77 Berner Street, Merewether: Monday to Friday, 3-5pm $1 off schooner of any tap beer, glass of any Margan wine, or glass of house sparkling.
20. Bushrangers Bar, 46 High Street, Largs: Monday to Friday 5-6pm, $1 off beer.
21. Cardiff RSL Club, 45 Macquarie Road, Cardiff: Friday 4-6pm and Saturday 6.30-8.30pm (members only) $3.50 for house wine and schooners (excluding premium beer).
22. Carrington Place, 132 Young Street, Carrington: Tuesday to Saturday 4-6pm, $10 cocktails, $5 house wine, and $5 Iron Bark Hill schooners.
23. Casa-Nova On The Lake, 24 Victory Parade, Toronto: Monday to Friday 4-6pm, $5.50 tap beer schooners and $5 wine, plus $10 cocktail of the week every Friday.
24. Chateau Elan, Vintage Drive, Pokolbin: Monday to Friday 5-6pm Discounted tap beer and house wine in the Legends Bar.
25. Cielo Italiano, 150 Wharf Road, Newcastle: Wednesday to Saturday 3-6pm $10 cocktails.
26. Clarendon Hotel, 347 Hunter Street, Newcastle: Monday to Thursday 4-6pm and Friday 4-7pm $5 house beer schooners, $6.50 house beer pints, $5 house wine, $6 house spirits.
27. Club Maitland City, 14 Arthur Street, Rutherford: Daily 5-6pm members happy hour schooners from $3.80.
28. Coach and Horses Hotel, 41 Elgin Street, Maitland: Monday to Friday 4-6pm $3.50 house beer and $5 house spirits.
29. The Colliery Inn, 87 Cowper Street, Wallsend: Monday to Friday 4-6pm and Saturday 2-5pm $4.80 schooners of tap beer and $6 craft beers.
30. Cricketers Arms Hotel, 61 Bruce Street, Cooks Hill: Every Monday $5 spirits and $4 schooners.
31. The Criterion Hotel, 81 Bourke Street, Carrington: Monday 6-10pm, Tuesday to Friday 4-6pm $5 house craft beers, wine and spirits, plus $12 margaritas and bloody marys every Saturday and $8 spritzers and $12 bloody marys every Sunday.
32. Customs House, 1 Bond Street, Newcastle: Every Friday 5-8pm $5 house wine, $5 espresso martinis and $5 Peronis.
33. Delany Hotel 134 Darby Street, Cooks Hill: Monday to Friday 4-6pm $5 lagers and $6 pale ales from 4pm to 6pm; Friday 5-7pm $10 cocktails.
34. The Dockyard, 13/1 Honeysuckle Drive, Newcastle: Monday to Saturday 8pm-close, Sunday 3pm-close, cocktail happy hour.
35. The Duke Hotel, 69 Regent Street, New Lambton: Monday to Thursday 10am-noon and 5-6pm, discounted schooners and $10 cocktails.
36. East Maitland Bowling Club, Corner of New England Highway and Banks Street, East Maitland: Every Friday and Saturday from 6.30pm, 2-4-1 cocktail of week.
37. Edgeworth Tavern, Corner of Main and Minmi roads, Edgeworth: Monday to Friday, 4-6pm, $1 off schooners.
38. The Edwards, 148 Parry Street, Newcastle West: All $6 Young Henry Stayer schooners and $12 spritzers during summer
39. Evviva Cafe and Bar, 14 Stockton Street, Nelson Bay: Monday to Saturday 12noon-1pm, and Thursday to Saturday 5-6pm with a selection of three petite Evviva cocktails for two or more $18 each; bucket of 'beers of the week' $20, house wine $6, $10 cocktails.
40. Exchange Hotel, 125 Denison Street, Hamilton: Monday to Friday 4-6pm $5 tap beer, house wine and house spirits.
41. The Family Hotel Newcastle, 635 Hunter Street, Newcastle: Weekdays 4-6pm $15 jugs of tap beer; Friday 6-8pm $12 espresso martinis and margaritas.
42. Finnegan's Hotel, 21 Darby Street, Newcastle: Tuesday to Friday 4-6pm $4 house beer and wine; Friday 9-11pm $5 house spirits.
43. Flotilla, 9 Albert Street, Wickham: Friday to Sunday noon-6pm $12 house spritzers on the deck.
44. FogHorn Brewery 218 King Street, Newcastle: Monday to Friday 4-6pm "Hoppy Hour" with $2 discount on all schooners, including 16 taps and the traditional British hand pump.
45. General Roberts Hotel, 258 Lambton Road, New Lambton: Monday to Thursday 5-6pm $5 selected schooners; Friday 5-7pm $3 bubbles.
46. Gateshead Tavern, 9 Pacific Highway, Gateshead: Monday to Friday 5-6pm, Saturday 2-4pm, Sunday noon- 2pm Members happy hour $4 house schooners and $4 wine.
47. Ginger Megs, 212 King Street, Newcastle: Every Wednesday from 5pm $10 cocktails, $5 house lager and cider, and half price bar buns.
48. Grand Hotel, 32 Church Street, Newcastle: Monday to Saturday 3-6pm $6/$5 schooners of any tap beer or cider, $4 midis of any tap beer or cider, $5 house bubbles.
49. Grand Junction Hotel, 88 Church Street, Maitland: Monday to Friday 4-6pm $4 tap beers.
50. Great Northern Hotel, 83-89 Scott Street, Newcastle: Monday to Friday 5-7pm $5 house wine and $9 pints across all 14 tap beers.
51. Greenroof Hotel, 71 Tudor Street, Hamilton: Monday to Thursday 3-6pm $5 house beer and $5 house wine; Every Tuesday $6 top shelf spirits.
52. Gunyah Hotel, 644 Pacific Highway, Belmont: Sunday to Friday 3.30-5.30pm $4.50 house beer and wine.
53. Hamilton Station Hotel, 2-6 Beaumont Street, Hamilton: Thursday and Sunday 4-7pm $4 tap beer schooners.
54. The Happy Wombat, 575 Hunter Street, Newcastle West: Daily 3-5pm $6 beers from Stone and Wood, Moo Brew mid-strength, Hope Estate Munich lager, and Apple Truck cider; and $6 house wine and sparkling.
55. Honeysuckle Hotel, Honeysuckle Drive, Newcastle: every Friday 4-7pm 49% off cocktails, $1 prawns and $1 oysters.
56. Horizons Golf Resort, 5 Horizons Drive, Salamander Bay: Wednesday to Sunday 4-6pm $5 schooners and $6 glasses of wine.
57. Hotel Jesmond, 182 Newcastle Road, Jesmond: Daily 10am to noon members happy hour $4.20 schooners and $4.80 schooners 3-5pm.
58. Hunter River Hotel, 10 Melbourne Street, East Maitland: Monday to Friday 3.30-5.30pm, and Saturday 2-3pm drink specials.
59. The Junction Hotel, 204 Corlette Street, The Junction: Every Friday all day until close $4 bubbles and $5 XXXX.
60. The Kent Hotel, 59 Beaumont Street, Hamilton: Monday to Friday 5-6pm $5 selected beer and wine.
61. Lambton Park Hotel, 19 Morehead Street, Lambton: Monday to Friday 4-6pm $5 selected schooners; All day Sunday $5 craft beer of the week..
62. The Landing Bar and Kitchen, 1 Honeysuckle Drive, Newcastle: Monday to Friday 4-6pm $6 beer and wine.
63. Laneway On Darby, 143 Darby Street, Cooks Hill: Monday to Friday 3- 5pm All freakshakes $10 each; Monday to Friday 4-6pm all beer and wine (excluding piccolo bottles) by the glass for $6 and $10 cocktails.
64. The Lucky, 237 Hunter Street, Newcastle: 'Lucky Hour' Monday to Friday 4-6pm offering $6 tap beers, house wine and sparkling wine.
65. Mary Ellen Hotel, 51 Railway Street, Merewether: Monday to Friday 3-6pm discounted selected beer, wine and bubbles; Every Friday 6-9pm $10 espresso martinis and $5 house bubbles.
66. Maverick's on Darby Street, 7 Darby Street, Newcastle: Every Friday 5-7pm $12 classic cocktails along with $5 tap beer, wine and bubbles.
67. Mawson Caves Beach, 5/3 Mawson Close, Caves Beach: Friday and Saturday 3-6pm $6 beer and wine, $12 cocktails.
68. MEET, 9 Darby Street, Newcastle: Every Friday 4-6pm Free bar snacks and drink specials.
69. The Mulberry, Level 2/74 Victory Parade, Toronto: Every Friday 5-7pm $10 selected cocktails and $5 tap beers.
70. Murray's Craft Brewing Co, 3443 Nelson Bay Road, Bobs Farm: Every Friday 4-6pm from October 25 to December 20. $15 growler refills including Whale Ale, Angry Man Pale Ale, East Coast Lager, XPA and 262)
71. Newcastle Cruising Yacht Club, 95 Hannell Street, Wickham: Monday to Friday 4-6pm $5 tap beer and house wine.
72. The Newcastle Hotel, 139 Maitland Road, Islington: Wednesday to Saturday 5-7pm $6 pints, plus free pool.
73. Northern Star Hotel, 112 Beaumont Street, Hamilton: Irish happy hours Monday to Friday 4-7pm $7 pints, $6 spirits, $5 house wine and bubbles, and $10 cocktail specials.
74. Parry Street Garage, 106 Parry Street, Newcastle: Every day 3-5.30pm $10 sippers and spritz, $6 Parry Street Lager and half price pizzas.
75. Pedens Hotel, 196 Vincent Street, Cessnock: Sunday to Friday 3.30-5.30pm $4.50 house beer and wine.
76. Pippi's at the Point, 199 Main Road, Speers Point: Monday to Friday 11am-12noon, and 4- 5pm, members happy hour $4.50 house beer; Weekdays 6-8pm $10 espresso martinis.
77. Potter's Brewery, Wine Country Drive, Nulkaba: Monday to Friday 4- 6pm Local members happy hour.
78. The Pourhouse, 327 High Street, Maitland: Daily 4-6pm discounted prices on all tap beer and wine, and discounted growler refills every Friday and Saturday.
79. Queens Wharf Hotel, 150 Wharf Road, Newcastle: Monday to Friday 3-6pm, $5 schooner or house wine by the glass; All day Friday $4 sparkling wine.
80. Quill and Compass, 171 Darby Street, Cooks Hill: Wednesday to Saturday noon-5pm Loose Cannon lunch $10 burgers and $5 tap beers.
81. Railway Hotel Cessnock, 216 Vincent Street, Cessnock: Mondays 4-6pm Mad Monday pints at schooner prices and happy hour.
82. Raymond Terrace Bowling Club, 2 Jacaranda Avenue, Raymond Terrace: Sunday 4-5.30pm $4 schooners and $3.20 house wine and soft drinks.
83. River Royal Inn, 97 Swan Street, Morpeth: Monday to Friday 5-6pm $4 schooners. Plus 'Years of Beers' every Wednesday (for a $2 donation to Jane McGrath Foundation, receive four tickets to get a schooner at a price randomly drawn between 1969 and 2019 (eg: 1969 is 60 cents for a schooner, 1986 is $2.30 for a schooner etc.)
84. Royal Hotel Singleton, 84 George Street, Singleton: Daily 10am-4pm members happy hour $5 house beer; All day Sunday $5 Somersby and Byron Bay Lager stubbies.
85. Royal Hotel Waratah, 61 Station Street, Waratah: Monday to Friday 4-6pm; Saturday noon-5pm; Sunday 2-4pm $5 tap beers, $5 selected wines, and selected buckets for $20.
86. The Shaft Hotel, 145 Croudace Road, Elermore Vale: Sunday to Friday 3-6pm $4 house spirits, beer and wine.
87. Shortland Hotel, 269 Sandgate Road, Shortland: Monday to Friday 10am-12.30pm and 2-5.30pm $4.50 schooners; Friday and Saturday 7pm-midnight $5.50 spirits; Saturday 11am-noon and 2-3pm $4.50 schooners.
88. Six Degrees, 150 Wharf Road, Newcastle: Monday to Friday 4-6pm, all cocktails $10 and $6 house wine and tap beer.
89. The Star, 410 King Street, Newcastle: Tuesday to Thursday 4-6pm $5 select beer and wine by the glass; Thursday $12 cocktails all day; Friday $12 espresso martinis all day
90. Sydney Junction Hotel, 8 Beaumont Street, Hamilton: Monday to Friday 4-6pm $4.80 house beer, spirits and wine.
91. TGI Fridays, 1 Molly Morgan Drive, Stockland Green Hills, East Maitland: Daily 4-6pm $5 schooners and house wine, $10 martinis, $10 highballs, $12 ultimates and $20 Bud buckets.
92. Toronto Hotel, 74 Victory Parade, Toronto: Monday to Friday 5-6pm discounted tap beers; Thirsty Thursday 4-6pm (members only) $4.50 all tap schooner beers.
93. Town Hall Hotel, 29 Station Street, Waratah: Monday to Friday 4-6pm members happy hour $4.50 house beer and wine.
94. Vault 73, 73 Hunter Street, Newcastle: Monday to Friday 5-7pm $5 beer, $5 wine, $10 cocktails.
95. Wangi RSL Club, 275 Watkins Road, Wangi Wangi: Every Friday 2-3pm, and members happy hour Monday and Wednesday at 11am, and Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday at 5pm.
96. Warners At The Bay, 320 Hillsborough Road, Warners Bay: Monday to Friday 4-6pm $4 Warners Bay Lager, $4 house wine and $4 sparkling.
97. Warners Bay Hotel, 5 John Street, Warners Bay: Monday to Friday 3-6pm $5 all tap beers and house wine, plus beer of the month special.
98. Wests (New Lambton, Mayfield, Cardiff, Newcastle and Nelson Bay): Members-only happy hour daily 4-6pm $4 schooners, wine and house spirits, and $3 soft drink schooners.
99. Wickham Park Hotel, 61 Maitland Road, Mayfield: Monday to Friday 4-6pm $5 beer, wine, bubbles and spirits.
100. Wollombi Tavern, 2994 Great North Road, Wollombi: Monday to Thursday 4-6pm happy hour drink specials.