THE President of the Parents and Friends Association at the Tarro school where PFAS was detected said while she feels comfortable sending her daughter to class, she supports families taking whatever action they feel is best for their children.
Fire and Rescue NSW used firefighting foam on land that became part of Our Lady of Lourdes Primary in 2014 and is conducting an investigation at the school.
Some parents told the Herald an October 24 information session with representatives from agencies including NSW EPA was a "waste of time" and they didn't want their children to attend the school.
Related: PFAS found in Hunter school yard
P&F president Michelle McDonald said the past fortnight had been "a tricky time".
"We don't always agree, but we should all do what we think is best for our children."
She said she found the representatives "more than willing to discuss with me the information I was after".
"I felt my questions were answered in the detail I needed them to be," she said.
"To hear exposure was mostly through groundwater and not the dirt the kids were playing in is the main issue I took out of it.
"That made me confident that sending my child to school here was and is a safe thing to do and in her best interests.
"I have been absolutely reassured the danger to her is extremely minimal."
She said she understood the majority of parents appreciated the session.
"These agencies didn't have to come out," she said.
"If this was to happen anywhere else I don't want this opportunity to be taken away from someone else."
Principal Cheryl Henderson said the number of absent students had "continued to drop" and all 2020 kindergarteners attended Tuesday's transition day.
"My staff and I have been strongly affirmed and humbled by the support we have received from families as we share the management of this disturbing situation," Ms Henderson said.
"Honesty, transparency, ethical practice, justice and mercy are embedded in our culture at OLOL Tarro and it is at times like this that we see the result, as the vast majority of our parents continue to place their confidence and trust in us.
"We are deeply grateful for this."
The Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle has told staff if a family "feels strongly" about relocating their children, it is "acceptable" to issue them an enrolment form for other local schools.
A year one pupil has enrolled elsewhere.
Investigating company Nation Partners is expected to publish a report with final assessment of sample results this month.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here.
- IN THE NEWS
- NSW government selling final Newcastle rail corridor redevelopment site
- Newcastle 500 Supercars 2019: Residents fear flying debris after Scott McLaughlin's Gold Coast crash
- Newcastle records the highest levels of fine particle pollution of anywhere in the state
- A 'long, tough legal battle' by 1250 Australian women against pharmaceutical giant ends on November 21
- Clarke-Jones joins world-class big wave surfers for Big Mama challenge in Portugal
- New recruit Jayden Brailey excited about the move to the Knights after disappointing Sharks exit