FIRE AND RESCUE NSW - HUNTER REPORT
This week, as usual firefighters across the Hunter region have been prepared for anything.
One such incident was in Cooks Hill on Saturday, when firefighters were called to a barbecue fire. On arrival, crews found a fire caused by a build-up of fat under the barbecue. The area was quickly rendered safe using a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher.
This highlights the need for barbecue safety as we head into summer. Fire and Rescue NSW recommend a few safety tips.
Check your LPG cylinders are in date, make sure connections on hoses are tight and with no leakages, never use a hose that has perished or cracked. Never check for leaks with a naked flame, check for leaks by brushing or spraying cylinders and hoses with soapy water.
After using your barbecue, remove excess fat to prevent build-up becoming a fire risk, and always read manufacturer's instructions for correct maintenance. Always have a responsible adult in charge of a lit barbecue and keep looking when cooking.
Fire and Rescue NSW also urges people to avoid the use of outdoor cooking or heating equipment inside homes. This type of use within a confined space can lead to a build-up of carbon monoxide, which can be fatal.
For more on barbecue, caravanning, camping and boating fire safety, visit www.fire.nsw.gov.au