A man has been charged with firearms offences after police allegedly located a loaded firearm in his vehicle at Raymond Terrace.
At about 8.30pm on Tuesday, Port Stephens-Hunter Police District officers stopped a vehicle on Brown Street and spoke with the 25-year-old female driver.
Police then spoke with a 28-year-old male passenger and arrested him in relation to an outstanding arrest warrant.
During a subsequent search of the vehicle, police allegedly located and seized a shortened rifle and ammunition.
The man was taken to Raymond Terrace Police Station and charged with an outstanding warrant as well as several firearms offences, including possess shortened firearm without permit, possess loaded firearm in public place, not keep firearm safely and goods in custody.
He was refused bail to appear at Raymond Terrace Local Court on Wednesday.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN NEWS TODAY
- Man arrested at Waratah for drug, stealing related offences
- Teen charged after allegedly lighting a fire during total fire ban
- Lake's largest housing subdivision hits a roadblock as developer and council in 'dispute'
- You Am I to headline Newcastle's New Year's Eve celebrations
- NRL: Christmas message has Kurt Mann going one direction at Newcastle Knights in 2020