A man will face court on Tuesday charged over the alleged sexual abuse of a young girl at Raymond Terrace.
In January 2020, detectives from the State Crime Command's Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad commenced an investigation following reports a young girl was sexually abused by a man known to her.
Following extensive inquiries, detectives arrested a 60-year-old man at a Hunter home at about 4pm on Monday.
The man was taken to Raymond Terrace Police Station and charged with three counts of sexual intercourse with child under the age of 10 years, intentionally sexually touch child under 10 years, and intentionally incite child under 10 years to sexually touch them.
Police will allege in court that the man sexually abused the girl - aged eight - numerous times at a home in Raymond Terrace between 2019 and 2020.
He was refused bail and will appear at Raymond Terrace Local Court on Tuesday.
Investigations are continuing.
The Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad is comprised of detectives who are specially trained to investigate matters against children and adults, including sexual assault, serious physical abuse, and extreme cases of neglect.
Anyone with concerns about suspected child abuse or exploitation should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or online
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN NEWS TODAY
- 'We've totally dropped the ball on this': former Hunter coal industry worker on climate change
- The last drop: government puts its faith in Hunter River water modelling
- Company claims 326 'Sugar Babies' at University of Newcastle in 2019
- 'Heartbreaking time' for family of rider who died after Scott Street crash
- Life ban handed down as Newcastle cricket crisis deepens