A man is understood to be in a serious but stable conditions after a head-on collision between a car and a truck at Gillieston Heights on Friday.
Emergency services rushed to the scene just after 9.30am a driver was trapped in their car after the collision.
A man, believed to be in his 50s, was freed from his vehicle but had suffered a traumatic head injury in the crash, a spokesperson for NSW Ambulance said.
He was rushed to Josh Hunter Hospital in a critical condition.
A spokesperson for Hunter New England Health described the man's condition as serious but stable on Friday afternoon.
Emergency services remained on the scene where the road was closed for several hours before re-opening around 3.30pm.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN NEWS TODAY
- Newcastle racecourse, Merewether Golf Club and Hunter Water to meet to discuss wastewater project
- Newcastle MP Sharon Claydon 'gravely concerned' about 'Sugar Babies' claim
- Former St Pius X College teacher Edward 'Ted' Hall to stand trial on indecent assault charges
- Detectives appeal for information as reward declared in suspected murder case of Steven Fenwick
- Suicide rates have risen in Hunter New England region, NSW data shows