An independent inquiry into strip searches in NSW hangs in the balance as the state's police watchdog considers whether to hold further hearings.
The Law Enforcement Conduct Commission in 2019 held hearings into the strip-searching of young people at the Lost City and Splendour in the Grass music festivals.
Hearings were held over eight days in October and December with the examination expected to continue in 2020.
At the time the chief commissioner said "we will be having hearings in the new year ... they are likely to focus on the psychological issues raised by strip-searching of young persons".
However, the commission on Thursday revealed "at present no dates have been fixed for further hearings".
"The commission is still assessing what other evidence might be called," an LECC spokeswoman said in a statement.
The news follows the departure of then-chief commissioner Michael Adams QC in late 2019.
Special Minister of State Don Harwin announced in late December that Reginald Blanch QC would take over as acting chief commissioner from February.
Mr Adams earlier in December had told an LECC hearing the watchdog would consider whether unlawful strip-searches were indecent assaults.
The planned research would have seen the commission reach out to experts to help develop best practice to reduce the risks of strip-searches taking on a sexual element.
When Mr Adams' departure was announced, Greens MP David Shoebridge said it was a "classic case of political punishment".
"His careful leadership during the hearings into police strip searches has clearly caused headaches amongst the NSW Police leadership," Mr Shoebridge said in a statement.
An investigation into the LECC was launched last year after complaints were made against Mr Adams by a senior staff member.
A report tabled in the NSW parliament was then made public on Wednesday.
The Guardian reports it found that while a number of complaints had been levelled against Mr Adams by the LECC's commissioner for oversight, Patrick Saidi, these were not upheld.
The investigation instead looked at whether Mr Saidi may have engaged in "maladministration or misconduct" however it did not deliver a finding, The Guardian states.
Mr Saidi's LinkedIn page suggests his role with the LECC ended in January.
A spokesman for the office of the clerk of the NSW upper house on Thursday told AAP the investigation's report had been taken off the government's website at the request of the LECC as it included names which should not have been disclosed.
AAP has been told the report will be made available again on the parliamentary website.
When asked whether the LECC still planned to undertake the research announced by Mr Adams, the spokeswoman said the matter was "presently under investigation and consideration by the LECC".
When contacted for comment a spokesman for Mr Harwin said the LECC was an independent statutory office and it was not possible nor appropriate for the government to instruct it.
"The Government awaits the outcome of the inquiry," the spokesman said in a statement to AAP.
Australian Associated Press