Forecast wild weather, including a possible east coast low, is expected to further erode Stockton's ravaged foreshore later this week.
Council staff were racing against the clock on Tuesday to relocate three cabins from the caravan park that were at imminent risk of collapsing into the sea.
The operation was suspended at 5.45pm due to high winds.
In a sign of the erosion's unrelenting progress, about a metre of sand was lost from under the front of one of the cabins during the morning's high tide.
A small group of locals who gathered to watch the operation lamented the loss of their beach.
We used to be able to play cricket or football out there. Something has changed, but I don't know what."Stockton resident
"We used to be able to play cricket or football down there," said one pointing the former beach that was under a metre of water on Tuesday morning.
"Something has changed, but I don't know what."
City of Newcastle was also preparing to reinforce the most vulnerable parts of the foreshore between the surf club and the Pines and adjacent to the breakwall with a combination of one and four tonne sandbags.
The Bureau of Meteorology has predicted severe weather conditions could return as soon as this weekend.
Forecasters expect tropical Cyclone Uesi to reach severe category three strength as it passes north of New Caledonia.
The Joint Typhoon Warning Centre is among those predicting the storm will weaken and head in a southwesterly direction towards the NSW coast.
"Intense weather is possible," Ben Domensino, a meteorologist with Weatherzone, said.
"These impacts could include large and dangerous surf, strong winds and heavy rain," he said, cautioning that "dangerous wind and rain would only occur if the system gets close enough to the [Australian] coast, while powerful surf can reach Australia even if the system stays well offshore".
Meanwhile City of Newcastle was still waiting for a response from the state government on Tuesday afternoon to its request for Stockton Beach to be declared a Natural disaster zone.
A spokesman for NSW emergency services minister David Elliott said Stockton was one of several areas around the state that were being assessed following the weekend's extreme weather.
State Labor has also backed pleas for Stockton Beach to be declared a natural disaster area.
Last year it called for the appointment of a State Recovery Coordinator to manage a whole of government response to the erosion crisis.
The coordinator would also assist City of Newcastle with repairs, stabilisation and beach replenishment works.
Newcastle MP Tim Crakanthorp said time was running out to save the suburb.
"How much more do we need to lose? How dangerous does this have to become for the community before this government pulls its finger out and acts?
"The fact that the government ignored our calls for a State Recovery Coordinator has undoubtedly resulted in further damage to Stockton.
"A natural disaster declaration would be a step in the right direction, but ultimately what we need is an urgent solution to this erosion crisis and this government must act now."
The Newcastle Herald reported on Tuesday that City of Newcastle had spent $5 million of its own funds on coastal erosion works at Stockton since 2015.
It is still awaiting to hear from the state government regarding its grant submission for coastal protection works at Barrie Crescent Reserve, which was lodged in September last year.
The Barrie Crescent Reserve project at the end of the Mitchell Street Seawall is expected to cost around $1 million.
The council is also lobbying the government to amend legislation to allow offshore dredging.
Supporters of the approach say it would provide an ongoing source of sand from Stockton Bight to renourish the beach with rather than relying on trucks .
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN NEWS TODAY
- Watch as emergency operation to save Stockton holiday cabins begins
- Quorrobolong farmer makes a splash as rain brings much-needed relief
- Singleton Council water warning expands to new suburb, water carters
- Residents want answers after water breach damages properties
- State opposition backs calls Stockton natural disaster declaration