Police are investigating a police pursuit through Newcastle on Wednesday.
Shortly after 5am, Newcastle Police District officers were patrolling Newcastle West when they noticed a white Mazda CX-7 which was allegedly stolen on February 8.
General Duty Police approached the vehicle on foot and attempted to arrest the driver who accelerated, colliding with two parked vehicles, police said.
A short time later, Target Action Group officers saw the vehicle initiating a pursuit which travelled through numerous streets in the suburbs of Newcastle West, The Junction and Merewether.
Police said the pursuit was terminated at around 5.10am after they lost sight of the car near Stewart Avenue.
Police later located the vehicle abandoned on Lindsay Street, Hamilton.
Inquiries are continuing to establish the identify of the driver involved.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN NEWS TODAY
- Stockton carnage tipped to worsen later this week
- Got milk? Then you'd better check it's okay to drink
- Roundhouse luxury hotel developer in legal stoush with mine subsidence authority
- 'We can't do it alone': Central Coast needs help after natural disaster declaration
- Councils say Sydney recycling plant closure won't affect Hunter