City of Newcastle and University of Newcastle vice-chancellor Alex Zelinsky will write to the state government seeking a Hunter-specific website promoting the region's education opportunities to overseas students.
A lord mayoral minute to Tuesday night's council meeting said the Study NSW website, which the government established in 2014 with a study.sydney web address, was Sydney-centric and offered no information about studying in the Hunter.
A "Hunter Region" link on the website takes readers to the Hunter page of the Destination NSW tourism website. This page includes pictures of vineyards but no information about schools or universities.
The Study NSW website is largely generic and contains few details about specific Sydney universities, either.
Councillors voted to write with Professor Zelinsky to Treasurer Dominic Perrottet asking for NSW to promote its regions as study destinations and resource a "Study Hunter" web portal.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN NEWS TODAY
- 'I spiralled out of control': Jarrod Mullen avoids jail over drug charges
- Sex criminal, disgraced former Labor MP Milton Orkopoulos loses parole
- Newcastle council scraps outdoor dining fees
- Southerly buster on its way up the southern Hunter and Central Coast
- Rugby union: Legendary Lemons a champion to the end