How are you feeling? Are you worried? Are you concerned? Are you ignoring your surroundings? Are you panicking?
Given the situation, these responses are perfectly understandable.
But how do you want to feel? Do you want to feel calm, under control, as though you are making the best of a bad situation?
There are ways to do this. Now is the perfect time to start looking at the tools that others around the world use to manage their emotional state.
You can choose your response to any situation, even COVID 19. The way to do this is to be 100 per cent clear about what you can and can't control.
There are more things in the "can control" column than you think, if you choose to do them to enhance your world. Some of these things that we all have control over are:
- Get facts from a trusted source
- Get the food you'll need for two weeks
- Follow hygiene recommendations
- Stop watching TV or give yourself a tech time of 30 minutes and turn it off
- Get off your social media feed
- Start a meditation practice online
- Start a fitness practice online
- Play board games with your family. Truly connect
- Use this time for self-reflection ask yourself the big questions: Why am I on this planet? What is my vision, am I living in a way that is aligned to it?
- Check in with neighbours, friends, strangers, how could you help them?
Then there is a list of things that we cannot control, such as what happens. We cannot control who gets the virus, how, when and why. We cannot control if the food runs down in our supermarket's shelves. We cannot control people around us reacting from fear.
The most important thing we can control is our response, and to lead a revolution of perspective, rather than fear.
We can choose to view this time as a chance to: spend more time with our families; exercise; working out our morning routines to set ourselves up for a healthy day; catch up on books we have not read or maybe start writing that book you have always wanted to.
Then, the most important thing to do is surrender.
Give up the need to control every detail and enjoy the elements of things we can enjoy. Search out things to be grateful for.
This may turn out to be one of the more memorable times in our lives for all the right reasons.