A pedestrian has died after being hit by a truck at Kurri Kurri on Wednesday morning.
Shortly after 7am, paramedics were called to Lang Street near Stanford Street following reports a man had been hit by a truck.
Paramedics performed CPR but the man, believed to be aged in his 70s, could not be revived and died at the scene.
Police were also on the scene and the special medical team was tasked by helicopter.
The male truck driver was taken to Maitland Hospital for mandatory drug and alcohol testing.
Officers from Hunter Valley Police District have established a crime scene, with Lang Street currently closed between Mitchell Avenue and Greta Street.
The road is expected to be closed for some time as investigations continue into the circumstances surrounding the crash.
Anyone who may have witnessed the incident, or who may have dashcam vision, is urged to contact police or Crime Stoppers on1800 333 000 or online
The public is reminded not to report crime via NSW Police social media pages.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN NEWS TODAY
- Hunter Valley Grammar welcomes 890 students back to school
- Newcastle councillors seek urgent advice on censure motion
- Lake council papers short of information on internal loans controversy
- Private schools to get $3b to bring students back
- 'We are hunting the virus now': Search on for undetected COVID-19 as new cases slow