KNIGHTS back Starford To'a would love to be playing again at some stage in 2020 and supports any move to create a "hybrid"-style competition for extended squad members at NRL clubs.
Toohey's News: Listen to Barry Toohey's new podcast in your Podcast app
To'a, who made his NRL debut against Newcastle's upcoming opponents Penrith last year, could be left without a game this season having missed selection in the opening two rounds and following the cancellation of second-tier NSW Cup.
No official announcements have been made by the NRL in terms of any potential replacement for reserve grade during the coronavirus crisis, or rivals sharing players to form makeshift teams, but St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor recently floated the idea of a nines format.
"There hasn't been much talk and we don't really know anything about it, we've just heard news that there could be a competition," To'a said after training on Monday.
"I think all the boys that are fringe players or reserve grade players want to put all their training into work and see if it pays off. I think all the boys are just excited to play wherever."
In the meantime, having resumed club sessions with the Knights a fortnight ago ahead of the NRL's return on May 28, To'a said he was "just happy to keep training and try my best to get into the team".
To'a, an Auckland native who turns 20 next month, spent the forced COVID-19 break both maintaining his fitness and studying.
"In the break me and my housemate Jirah [Momoisea], also my [Knights] teammate, we've been doing a bit of study in health and fitness so that's kept us busy as well as training," he said.
To'a underwent finger surgery this year, following on from wrist and ankle operations last season, but no longer requires rehabilitation and "feels pretty fit".
"I've just come off finger surgery as well, but that is healing up well and I don't need any rehab on it at the moment," he said.
"So I'm pretty fit at the moment health wise."
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN NEWS TODAY:
- OPINION:Cancellation is a 'super' result for East End
- One death, one new case as NSW announces sweeping rules for public transport
- Flu shots falling short due to higher demand
- We'll be back: Supercars boss vows Newcastle 500 will return in 2021
- The terrifying unknowns of the coronavirus
- Toohey's News, The Podcast: Robbie O'Davis