A SUBSTATION destroyed by fire in the Hunter Economic Zone is being classed as suspicious, firefighters say.
Ausgrid confirmed the kiosk substation was destroyed in the early hours of Wednesday outside Pelaw Main "in a suspected arson attack".
Firefighters were called to the scene after an emergency Ausgrid officer arrived on site about 4.40am.
The fire did not spread to nearby bushland but the kiosk substation will need to be replaced.
Its destruction cut supply to streetlights in the area.
Mulbring Rural Fire Brigade joined Fire and Rescue NSW crews from Kurri Kurri at the scene.
Ausgrid said police had been notified of the fire.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news -sign up here
- Property folio linked to fraudster Lemuel Page sold for $6 million
- Port Stephens divided over return of out-of-town tourism
- Savin' Days In League: Four bonus games of footy spread across new 2020 season
- Knights to feature in nine Sunday games this season
- Winter may deliver heightened Hendra virus risk for region's horses
- Third person arrested in relation to 2019 fatal stabbing