Police are investigating an armed hold-up, in which two men allegedly used a machete and a baseball bat to rob a service station in the early hours of Tuesday.
The incident took place at the business on Lavis Lane at Williamtown about 3.30am.
Police said two men entered the service station and threatened the 32-year-old male attendant with the weapons before removing cash from the register.
A customer entered the store while the hold-up was taking place - police said the bandits also threatened the 38-year-old man before they fled in a northerly direction towards Nelson Bay Road.
Police were called and a crime scene was established.
Anyone with information that could help the investigation is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN THE NEWS:
- Kalyn Ponga on verge of $1.1m a season with Knights: reports
- $58 million: how coronavirus will hit the University of Newcastle
- Sleepless Sione as countdown to NRL return ticks away
- The Newcastle and Hunter restaurants and cafes welcoming back dine-in customers after the coronavirus lockdown
- Toohey's News, The Podcast Episode 11: Alex McKinnon