Deputy Premier John Barilaro has described the first meeting of a taskforce established to address the Stockton erosion crisis as "very successful".
"There is a sense of excitement among participants that progress is being made, and we are united in achieving one outcome - and that is to get sand on Stockton Beach," Mr Barilaro said following Tuesday's meeting.
The taskforce, which Mr Barilaro chairs, brings together government agencies, council representatives and community members to look at ways of funding and sourcing sand for Stockton.
Tuesday's meeting included an update from the Department of Mining, Exploration and Geoscience on potential sources of offshore sand.
City of Newcastle gave an update on the work it has done so far on its Coastal Management Program for Stockton.
The Herald reported last week that Stockton Community Liaison Group had called for more information about the implementation and funding of plans for mass sand nourishment.
In its submission to the council's draft coastal management program (CMP) the group said while the plan "correctly identifies" the community's desire for offshore sand nourishment the plan contained "no practical details ... on how this will be achieved nor any indication of how it will be funded".
The council said it "respectfully does not agree" that the CMP should contain more detail on funding.
"It is unrealistic to expect the state government or any other organisation to commit to funding a long-term solution to coastal erosion without those actions first being approved via a certified CMP," a spokesperson said.
The Taskforce has agreed to meet a minimum of four times a year.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN THE NEWS:
- Man arrested over 2018 death of Ewan Sams, who was hit by 4WD in Coalfields backyard
- Calls for Upper Hunter MP Michael Johnsen to resign over Black Lives Matter / abortion post
- Baby boy's tragic death set for trial
- Fraud squad police execute search warrant on Sydney-based auditing firm to seize ALS Newcastle lab documents in international fake coal testing investigation
- TAFE students earn high praise for edible works of art
- NSW Environment Minister Matthew Kean demands the EPA take action on the heavily-contaminated Maitland Truegain waste-oil refinery site
- Knights boss Phil Gardner says Kalyn Ponga could have earned more money elsewhere