POLICE investigating how a Central Coast 79-year-old woman suffered critical head injuries have arrested a man believed to be her husband.
Police on Wednesday charged the man after emergency services were called to Sunnyhills Terrace at Berkeley Vale about 9.15pm on Tuesday.
They found the woman with critical head injuries. She was flown to the John Hunter Hospital where she remained in a critical condition, police said.
The 91-year-old man, believed to be the woman's husband, was arrested at the scene and taken to Wyong police station.
He was subsequently charged with wound person intend to cause grievous bodily harm (domestic violence).
He was given conditional bail to face Wyong Local Court on September 8.
Anyone with information is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN THE NEWS:
- Your Right to Know: Government considered relocating Newcastle High under education plan
- Your Right to Know: Newcastle East calls for squeeze to be eased on crowded school
- Beanies for Brain Cancer NRL round and campaign raises $2.55 million for Mark Hughes Foundation
- The stats that show why the Knights are winning
- Newcastle soccer legend Ray Baartz hopes new owner can shore up Jets
- Man in court after allegedly fracturing police sergeant's eye socket at Telarah
- Lake Macquarie council adopts $394m budget for 2020/21 with operating deficit of $11.5 million