Video emerged on social media Wednesday apparently showing a group of people berating two police officers as they subdue an allegedly armed man in Hamilton South.
Body camera footage released by NSW Police shows an officer recoil in their vehicle as a man approaches the car. The officers get out and quickly bring the man to the ground before a group of around 10 bystanders begin hurling abuse.
Police allege that a 28-year-old man man had approached their vehicle as it stopped and brandished a large knife.
The senior constable who was driving the vehicle when the incident occurred had the window down to speak with the man when he allegedly wielded the blade.
The second officer, also a senior constable, got out of the car and called on the man to drop the weapon.
As police attempted to subdue the man who approached the vehicle, one bystander tries to intervene before he is pushed back.
The officers were patrolling the area when a member of the public alerted them to a brawl on Fowler Street in Hamilton South around 2.10pm Tuesday, police said in a statement.
Video, posted on Facebook by an onlooker Tuesday evening shows two officers standing over a man on the ground. A second man begins shouting from the roadside before a group descends hurling expletives and abuse at the officers and demanding they "get off him".
- THIS VIDEO CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE
As more police arrive, the onlooker filming the incident begins berating one officer claiming that he was nearly run over by their vehicle. As a number of police vehicles and Highway Patrol arrive on the scene, the group dispels as the arrested man appears to be put in the back of a waiting police vehicle.
The charges mark the second serious allegation of violence toward police in the Hunter within a few days after a man accused of fracturing a police officer's eye socket in Telarah was refused bail on Monday.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN THE NEWS:
- Marketown arrest: charges after 85-year-old shopper challenges man over car damage
- Victorian outbreak a national wake-up call
- 'I am a murderer': man accused of killing girlfriend at Metford makes shocking confession in court
- A-League: Jets set for sale to Sydney businessman bringing end to Martin Lee's four years at the helm
- Little Richard found god in Newcastle, records show
- Rathmines axe rampage: Ben Leon Macaulay pleads guilty to string of offences
- Woman stabbed at Waratah Village Shopping Centre