Pickers coach Matt Lantry said he expects Maitland to return to the Newcastle Rugby League ranks next year despite breaking away to play in the newly formed President's Cup.
The Coalfields club was officially unveiled in the seven-team competition by NSW Rugby League on Tuesday meaning Maitland's senior playing group will be split for 2020.
The Pickers top squad, including four former NRL players, will join fellow regional outfits Dubbo CYMS and Western NSW Rams taking on state capital teams North Sydney Bears, Wentworthville Magpies, Glebe-Burwood Wolves and Hills District Bulls.
Maitland are also set to field two men's sides in amateur open grade competitions being organised by Newcastle RL, who cancelled their main premiership last month, as well as under 19s and ladies league tag.
Both campaigns are due to kick-off July 18.
"We don't see our role with Newcastle Rugby League changing and we don't see this as a long-term path," Lantry told the Newcastle Herald.
Both competitions, plus multiple groups across the state, have since been canned because of the global coronavirus pandemic so NSWRL opted to create the semi-professional President's Cup.
"Given the circumstances, we see this as an opportunity for 12 months to challenge ourselves," Lantry said.
That quartet will be joined by 2020 recruits Alex Langbridge and Chad O'Donnell while Knights lower graders Matt Soper-Lawler, Cooper Jenkins and Cal Burgess, who have all worn the black and white uniform previously, are also committed.
"We're pretty much at full strength," Lantry said.
"The retention has been good and our guys are looking forward to it."
Cessnock coach Todd Edwards said the Goannas had considered entering President's Cup.