The Pickers may welcome crowds of up to 500 people at Maitland Sportsground during their President's Cup campaign this year after the further easing of coronavirus restrictions.
This latest COVID-19 development from the state government came as NSW Rugby League confirmed on Wednesday that Maitland and fellow regional teams Dubbo CYMS and the Western Rams would have the chance to host fixtures in the newly formed competition and not just travel to Sydney.
The Pickers, who decided not to field their top squad in Newcastle Rugby League's amateur open grades following the pandemic break, will also be up against state capital sides Norths Sydney, Wentworthville, Glebe-Burwood and Hills District when the seven-round season kicks off later this month.
"It's all very positive," Maitland president Frank Lawler said.
"There will obviously be things we can and can't do [in terms of crowds], but we're working on how to get that done. It's an exciting thought and should be good."
The President's Cup draw has yet to be released, but NSWRL football general manager Barrie-Jon Mather said all seven participants would score either "three or four home games" before a month-long finals series and decider on the weekend of September 26-27.
"We're working it out on a home-and-away basis so everyone will get either three or four home games," Mather said. "We didn't want to make it Sydney centric and wanted to reward those country teams who put up their hand to play."
Mather said Western may opt to play their matches at various towns such as Parkes and Orange, giving more people an "opportunity to see some footy" with many groups already cancelling competitions.
He also described the relaxtion of mass gatherings for community sport as "music to his ears" and expected a "bit of banter" between the country and city outfits.
A salary cap won't be used for President's Cup, rather a points system similar to the ones used in Newcastle RL and the sidelined Ron Massey Cup.
Pickers coach Matt Lantry said his players would be taking a pay cut.
Newcastle RL chief executive officer Matt Harris, who last month announced their main premiership wouldn't go ahead in 2020, said his main concern with Maitland's departure was "financial sustainability".
Harris said he expected to release a draw, also including four Pickers' teams, for two tiers of open grade, under 19s and women's Blues Tag next week.
Kick-off across the board is set for July 18.