WYONG captain-coach Mitch Williams could miss the rest of the Newcastle Rugby League season after undergoing surgery on his fractured cheek bone on Wednesday.
The Roos' main man was injured from a head clash early in the second half of Sunday's 8-4 win over Western Suburbs at Morry Breen Oval.
"See how the surgery goes and then make a plan with the surgeon," Williams said.
He still intends to coach the side, who returned to Newcastle RL last week when Central Coast District Rugby League cancelled their senior competition amid the coronavirus crisis.
Wyong had five debutants on the weekend via second-rower Isaac Blackhall, winger Cody Boyle, centre Tominiko Kaati and interchange duo Regan Clark and Nathan Kegg-King.
* NEWCASTLE RL officials have opted to award two competition points for the bye.
* NELSON BAY will host under-19 and ladies league tag fixtures at Raymond Terrace venue Lakeside Sports Complex this Sunday with regular home ground Tomaree currently being used as a pop-up COVID-19 clinic.
* PICKERS under-19 player Matt Cant requires surgery after suffering a season-ending knee injury lining up against Central at Maitland on Saturday. The incident occured early in the game, which was eventually abandoned.
* JADE Porter, who was loaned to Wests from Kurri earlier this month, featured in the Newcastle Hunter Community Rugby League B-grade competition on the weekend.
The Rosellas were beaten 12-10 by Fingal Bay.
* CENTRAL are the only team to start the abbreviated Newcastle RL campaign with a 2-0 win-loss record having already accounted for Souths and Maitland. The Butcher Boys, who have the bye this weekend, return against Wests at Harker Oval on August 9.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN OTHER NEWS
- NRL: Tim Glasby's career suffers knockout blow as medical retirement looms
- NRL: Rookie Crossland gets his chance as Knights' injury crisis deepens
- A-League: Irish legend trades Jets for English League Two club Cambridge
- NNSW WPL: Olympic centre back Stacey Day out for 2020 season
- Racing: Andrew Gibbons claims maiden NSW jockey's premiership