HEALTH authorities have extended the window in which a confirmed coronavirus case attended Wallsend Diggers to include a second evening last week.
Hunter New England Health on Monday added the Lambton Park Hotel to a health alert for Newcastle pubs and clubs following a confirmed case from Sydney visiting the region last week.
Wallsend Diggers planned to reopen on Monday morning after overnight deep cleaning as a precaution following a confirmed coronavirus case.
Hunter New England Health issued an alert shortly before 9.30pm on Sunday that the club and Hotel Jesmond had both been exposed to COVID-19 after a confirmed case from Sydney visited the region late last week.
On Monday morning they added the Lambton Park Hotel to the list of venues the confirmed case, a Sydney construction worker in his 20s, visited.
Anyone at the Lambton Park Hotel on Thursday between 7pm and 9pm is advised they must self-isolate and seek urgent testing if they develop symptoms.
The hotel appealed for patrons to "please visit your nearest health clinic and get a test for COVID-19 and follow all self isolation protocols".
"We are working with NSW health to ensure the safety of our local community and will be closed for the next 48 hours to undergo contact tracing and a deep clean of our premises as our patrons' health and safety is our number one priority," Lambton Park Hotel said in a statement.
"We will be reopening on Wednesday August 5 from 12pm and look forward to welcoming all back from then.
"Just a reminder, if you are feeling unwell please stay at home."
Wallsend Diggers chief executive John Hume said NSW Health contacted the venue on Sunday afternoon, initially advising "a person from Sydney who is COVID confirmed" had visited between 7pm and 9pm on Thursday.
On Monday that window was updated to cover Wednesday and Thursday between 9pm and 11pm.
Mr Hume said health authorities had the data of all who had attended during that window and were aware of the plans to reopen.
"NSW Health has advised us that the COVID Safe Plan that we have in place is excellent," he said. "Please note that the club has not been breached in any capacity."
Hotel Jesmond told patrons they had been told a case from Sydney attended on Wednesday night between 7.30pm and 9.30pm.
"We have already had the hotel deep cleaned this evening and will be closed tomorrow as staff get tested as a precaution," they said about 9pm on Sunday. "We have been informed by the NSW Department of Health that it is not necessary to be tested unless showing symptoms."
Health authorities will contact patrons of both venues who need to self-isolate.
Wallsend MP Sonia Hornery, a Wallsend Diggers director, told her followers the club had closed in the afternoon. Several people responded saying they were at the venue when they were asked to leave, describing it as "a very panicked announcement".
"From my understanding the staff had to leave also," one wrote.
It was unclear on Sunday night how the Sydney visitor contracted coronavirus and whether he had links to other clusters.
Cases up to 8pm last night will be announced by health authorities on Monday.
Two weeks ago Port Stephens MP Kate Washington told her electorate that two schools and a childcare centre were due to close due to positive cases.
The cases were later confirmed by health authorities.
NSW added 29 new coronavirus cases in the two days to 8pm Saturday, including a Lake Macquarie case.
Cleaners were sent into Toronto Court House on Sunday after confirmation "a member of the court" tested positive for coronavirus. NSW Chief Medical Officer Dr Kerry Chant said the patient that prompted the court house cleaning attended Toronto Drug Court on July 27.
Anyone who attended the court between 7am and 2pm that day is urged to watch for symptoms, self-isolating and getting tested if they develop. The Department of Communities and Justice said the positive test was returned on Saturday night and the cleaning was "as a precaution".
"The person was likely infected at the Apollo restaurant in Potts Point," the department said on Sunday. "All close contacts have been identified and are being contacted this morning."
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian urged people to wear masks while shopping, dealing with customers, in religious worship or in areas with high community transmission.
"I want to stress it is not compulsory but it is a strong recommendation," Ms Berejiklian said.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN THE NEWS:
- Bringing mum home: Hunter family's fight for a return from Philippines
- Coronavirus: Confirmed cases at Hunter pub, club and court house
- Ship detained in Newcastle 'one of thousands' with trapped crew
- 'Getting ridiculous': the Hunter traders making their own COVID rules
- Knights: Moga facing the axe in centre reshuffle after Storm damage