Premier Gladys Berejiklian has confirmed school formals and graduation ceremonies can go ahead at the end of the year if COVID-19 numbers remain low.
At a press conference on Monday she said guidelines would be released around holding these events in term four of the school year. The "less strict" guidelines are expected to be released on Friday.
"Every school community across the state will be able to have a formal, will be able to have a year 12 graduation ceremony," she said.
"It may not be the same exactly as what happens in previous years, but I want year 12 students and their families and their teachers and school communities to know that you will be able to have those key milestone events."
Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said it is important the events take place after HSC exams to reduce the risk of COVID-19 impacting on exams or preparations.
Year 12 students requiring a COVID-19 test should tell their GP or testing clinic they are currently doing their HSC. This will ensure their test results are prioritised, minimising any disruption to their schooling and study.
The NSW Government will also provide COVID safe guidance to students wanting to participate in schoolies under the current restrictions and health advice.
NSW has reported just four new cases in the 24 hours to 8pm on Sunday, which were found among just over 10,000 tests.
One is a returned overseas traveller in hotel quarantine and three are locally acquired.
All three locally acquired cases were healthcare workers, one from Concord Hospital and two from Liverpool Hospital.
They were diagnosed following investigations into a case reported on September 5 who worked at the emergency departments in Concord Repatriation General Hospital and Liverpool Hospital.
The previously reported health care worker worked two shifts while potentially infectious.
The additional cases worked at Concord ED on September 1 from 7pm until 7am while potentially infectious, and at Liverpool ED on September 2-4.
NSW Health said the three latest health workers reported having no symptoms while at work and wore personal protective equipment while caring for patients.
In addition to today's case numbers, a visitor to a patient at Concord ED on September 1 has tested positive. This case will be reported in tomorrow's numbers.
Patients considered close contacts and all staff working at Concord and Liverpool EDs at the same times as the positive cases are being isolated and tested. Investigations into the source of these infections are ongoing.
Meantime, in Victoria there were 41 new COVID-19, which was the lowest daily total since June 27. Nine more Victorians died from the virus.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN THE NEWS: