CITY of Newcastle is calling for stories of the city's nightlife ahead of a trial of extended trading hours for restaurants and small bars due to begin next month.
The council voted unanimously to trial the changes for 26 venues which opted in as part of a push to develop the city's after dark economy with later trade.
The trial, which is due to run for six months but may be extended, is also expected to ease the blow of the pandemic on the city's hospitality sector, the council says.
Newcastle lord mayor Nuatali Nelmes said a survey the council had launched would be a linchpin of assessing how things changed during the trial period.
"The Newcastle Night-time Economy trial will allow for an evidence-based understanding of the community's needs," Cr Nelmes said. "We hope to see a positive outcome from the trial for these industries through increased night-time economic development, cultural participation and activation in our city."
The changes follow Sydney removing its lockout laws, which were modelled on the Newcastle solution, late last year.
The night time economy survey is available at City of Newcastle council's website until 5pm on September 30.