Lake Macquarie police are investigating a large brawl that broke out on the sideline of a suburban rugby league match at the Hunter on the weekend.
Footage of the brawl has been circulating on social media, depicting dozens of people - including players and spectators - involved in the violent incident.
The fight broke out at Dora Creek Workers Club Oval on Saturday afternoon, where Dora Creek beat West Wallsend 36-16 in their Newcastle Hunter Community Rugby League A-grade match.
The Newcastle Herald understands the brawl started around the time of the full-time whistle.
Police have confirmed that officers were called to the Minnie Street oval just before 5pm.
But police said the crowd scattered when officers arrived at the scene.
Investigators are aware of the footage and are investigating the brawl - they are calling for any witnesses to contact them.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN THE NEWS:
- Drug driver who caused crash that killed social worker jailed
- Hunter family has seconds to escape car blaze on Wine Country Drive
- Rebel Liberal MP Matthew Mason-Cox says Mike Baird 'done over' by bankers in Newcastle port 'sting'
- Toohey's News, The Podcast Ep. 28: Leo Dynevor
- NPL: Newcastle Olympic go back to basics in battle for finals return