A MAN accused of murder remains in prison almost two years after he was charged with killing a colleague in the Upper Hunter.
Jamie Cust is charged with the murder of 41-year-old man Jesus Babita in Scone in late-2018, and will face further time behind bars after his case was adjourned in Tamworth Local Court again on Wedneday.
Cust - who is yet to enter a plea to the lone count of murder - appeared via video link in court, dressed in prison greens, and heard his case needed more time.
The court was told solicitors involved in the matter needed to wait for a case conference certificate to be signed, but a new solicitor was needed.
Magistrate Mal MacPherson noted Legal Aid, which has represented Cust for much of the matter since 2018, was no longer involved in the case.
"The matter has been adjourned to October 14, so whoever is representing you can appear on that day and sign off on the charge certificate, do you understand that?" he told Cust.
"Bail has not been applied for and is formally refused."
Legal Aid solicitors Rae Parker and Wendy McAuliffe had previously appeared for Cust, and only last month told the court they needed six weeks to move the matter forward.
The matter has been adjourned to October 14, so whoever is representing you can appear on that day and sign off on the charge certificate, do you understand that?Magistrate Mal MacPherson
Hunter Valley detectives allege Cust - then aged 20 - killed Mr Bebita at a Parker Street home in Scone in the early hours of December 18, 2018.
Police claim Cust murdered Mr Bebita between 3am and 4:15am on the same day they allegedly found his body at the home.
Shortly after Mr Bebita was found dead, Cust presented to Muswellbrook Police Station where he was arrested.
The case has been plagued by delays - something Tamworth magistrate Julie Soars expressed frustration with at the last mention of the case in August.
She said the case had been lingering in the local court for too long and Cust has been in custody the entire time for a "serious charge".
Cust has been in custody since his arrest, and after 21 months behind bars, Wednesday's adjournment means the case won't move to the NSW Supreme Court for trial or sentence until the end of the year.
The court has previously been told there is a significant amount of "complex" evidence in the case with a brief that spans 14 volumes.