Reigning minor premiers Wallsend and Tom Locker Cup title holders Hamilton-Wickham will open their 2020-21 seasons slighty later than their Newcastle District Cricket Association rivals.
Wallsend and Hamwicks will play a 40-over match next Sunday (October 11), following on from the other first-round fixtures scheduled the day before.
The clubs are meeting at a neutral venue, Ron Hill Oval, with both their home grounds out of action until later this month.
It will be a double header for the Toronto field that weekend with the Kookaburras hosting Stockton and Northern Districts on the Saturday.
Also in the top grade on October 10, Wests and Merewether clash at Townson Oval, City welcome Waratah-Mayfield to Learmonth Oval, Belmont are away to University at Bernie Curran Oval and Charlestown take on Cardiff-Boolaroo at Kahibah Oval.
Meanwhile, the Australian Country Championships due to take place in January have been cancelled. The Newcastle and Hunter region remains in the mix to host the national tournament in 2022.
While you're with us, did you know the Newcastle Herald offers breaking news alerts, daily email newsletters and more? Keep up to date with all the local news - sign up here
IN THE NEWS:
- Newcastle Knights CEO Phil Gardner on Tinkler, Nathan Brown, Ponga and how Wests bagged the Knights club for $1
- Teenager killed in single-vehicle crash on Mount View Road near Cessnock
- Listen to the Voice of Real Australia podcast: Dungog turns the wheel of fortune with mountain biking revolution
- Santos' Narrabri coal seam gas approval brings Hunter pipeline closer
- Emerging motorcycle star jailed over MDMAEmerging motorcycle star jailed over MDMA syndicate that stretched from Newcastle to Tamworth in regional NSW
- Marist Brother William Wade sentenced to a four month community corrections order for concealment of sexual crimes