Disgraced former politician Milton Orkopoulos has testified he will "measure my freedom by the minute" before losing his bid to have his parole reinstated.
The former NSW Labor minister was released from jail in December 2019 after serving 11-and-a-half years for 30 child sex, drug and child porn convictions.
But his parole was revoked two months later after his arrest for failing to comply with reporting conditions of the Child Protection Register including having unapproved phone use.
In December the 63-year-old was convicted and placed on a two-year community corrections order.
His lawyer Omar Juweinat on Thursday asked the State Parole Authority to rescind the parole revocation order.
The sentence, for which his parole was revoked, expires in eight months on October 18, meaning the authority would no longer have any jurisdiction over him in relation to conditions and the like.
"I am not submitting this is a person who should be recognised as Australian of the Year," he said.
After his parole was revoked and while in custody NSW police charged Orkopoulos with further child sex and drug supply offences, alleged to have been committed between 1994 and 2001.
Mr Juweinat said Orkopoulos was not refused bail on the charges and an administrative error must have led to the paperwork before the authority stating this was the case.
Orkopoulos, wearing prison greens, gave evidence via AVL from jail explaining the reporting obligations offences, including his creating an Instagram page in his name following footballer Cristiano Ronaldo.
The offence involving speaking to a youngster during a phone call was restricted to saying "hello" to the child of a relative he was talking to and "that was it".
He apologised for his "errant disregard" of the rules, also noting the magistrate found they were at the "lower end of seriousness" for such charges.
"They unfortunately bought me a further 12 months in jail after serving 14 years," he said.
He "solemnly" undertook to measure his freedom by the minute in future and obey the law.
Mr Juweinat submitted "there was nothing nefarious about what he did, which led Judge Mark Marien to add "so far".
The authority confirmed the revocation of the parole order will stand but said it would consider the application at a private meeting on April 16.
Australian Associated Press