A petition calling for the remaining Stockton Breakwall cats not to be harmed will be delivered to Port of Newcastle CEO Craig Carmody today.
The petition, organised by the Stray Cats Project and Animal Justice Party, includes more than 11,700 digital signatures from people opposed to any future culling of the stray animals.
It comes after the Port of Newcastle organised a failed kill in December last year, which resulted in a number of cats being shot and severely injured, while others are missing and presumed dead.
The port said the cull was ordered "in response to growing risks to the community and the environment".
The petition continues on the animal welfare groups' action to protect the remaining cats. The Stray Cats Project says it has retrieved 14 of the surviving cats from the breakwall and a protest against further culling held outside the Port of Newcastle head office on January 13 attracted about 200 people.
Stray Cats Project founder Rochelle Wood said the petition was kicked off five days before the protest.
"To collect that many signatures in a short space of time sends a huge message," she said.
Ms Wood said the group hadn't received any information about future action the port was planning to take.
"We want confirmation of what they're planning on doing," she said. "It's been two months since the cull."
The Herald approached the port about its future plans for the breakwall cats, and the port responded sayingthe matter was "still subject to an investigation by the RSPCA".
"It would not be appropriate to comment at this time," a statement from the organisation said.
Ms Wood believes there are 14 cats remaining on the wall, based on carers' daily interactions with the felines.
Animal Justice Party Newcastle regional group leader Darren Brollo said "it should come as no surprise that the community is demanding a response".
"What emerged last year was beyond horrific," he said. "Multiple cats had been left to die slowly from open wounds.
"It was lucky that local cat carers found them as quickly as they did and that some managed to survive.
"The trauma experienced by the surviving cats and their carers is immeasurable.
"These cats had names, personalities and relationships with their human guardians.
"The Port of Newcastle can no longer be silent on this serious issue. Last year's massacre was cruel and unnecessary. The possibility of another massacre going ahead is unthinkable.
"The Port of Newcastle must listen to the people who overwhelmingly oppose any further slaughter, and make a public commitment to no further carnage."
Animal Justice Party MP Emma Hurst, who attended last month's protest, called on NSW Parliament to condemn the slaughter in a Notice of Motion last week.
"The slaughter of these cats has caused massive community outcry and protest," said Ms Hurst.
"They did not deserve to die such a horrific death."
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
IN THE NEWS: