A MAN is assisting police after he was arrested in the wake of an armed robbery at pursuit at Maitland.
Police were called to a takeaway at Lawson Avenue in Beresfield about 1.30pm after reports a man entered the store armed with a gun and threatened an employee.
The man fled the scene a short time later in a Mazda 3.
Police began a large-scale search, spotting the vehicle on Woodberry Road.
They began a pursuit before the car stopped.
IN THE NEWS:
- Ardern announces NZ travel bubble with Australia
- Philippa Anderson loses to world champ Carissa Moore in surfing's Newcastle Cup
- Jarrod Mullen lays bare his spectacular career and fall from grace
- Malcolm Turnbull won't chair Net Zero Emissions and Clean Economy Board: Matt Kean
- Newcastle Knights 'carnage' raises questions for the NRL
- Common Circus the coolest new cafe at Hamilton
Its driver, a 43-year-old man, was arrested without incident.
Officers searched the vehicle and seized a gel blaster gun. They also took the car, which will be forensically tested.
A crime scene has been established. The man was taken to Raymond Terrace police station where he is assisting investigators on Tuesday afternoon.
Anyone with information is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: